The D.U.F.F.
(Designated Ugly Fat Friend) is a fun and light-hearted story about a
teenage girl named, Bianca. Like most
teenage girls, she is a bit self-conscious, and has some issues with boys. One boy in particular, Wesley, is a total
jerk to Bianca, giving her the nickname D.U.F.F., which stands for Designated,
Ugly, Fat, Friend. But despite the
friction between these two characters, they develop a relationship with each
other and also begin to develop genuine feelings for one another. It is revealed that both characters are
struggling with issues in their home life and turn to one another as a
distraction. With witty comedic banter
and awkward teenage interactions, The D.U.F.F. is a relatable story for
adolescents.
For some reason this book was the book that I
was looking forward to reading more than any other. Though I did enjoy the
book, I felt like I had got myself all excited and my idea of the book was
better than what it actually ended up being.
Regardless, I thought it was a decent story, considering it was the
author’s first novel. Additionally, I
could see a lot of teenage girls relating to Bianca’s experiences.
I feel that this book would be best for students who
are in high school, because there are some inappropriate scenes that deal with
sex and alcoholism/abuse. With that said,
it would make a good book for girls to read as part of a unit on friendship and
respect. One of the lessons presented in
the book deals with name-calling. The
main character realizes that her name-calling is just as bad as calling someone
a D.U.F.F.
Students
could get together to reflect on issues stemmed from name-calling and/or
bullying.
Based
on what they read in D.U.F.F. and their own personal experiences, students
could also write poetry expressing how being bullied felt and ways in which
they coped.
Additionally,
students could use this book as a platform to promote anti-bullying
initiatives.
Here is Kody Keplinger talking about the meaning of D.U.F.F. and her experience as being "the D.U.F.F." in her group of friends.
Thanks for stopping by!
Jamie
No comments:
Post a Comment