One of the books that I have enjoyed recently is the story, The Mostly True Adventures of Home P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick. The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg is a Historical Fiction novel set during the Civil War. When we first meet Homer and his older brother Harold, we learn that their mother has died and therefore they live with their rotten uncle. They call their uncle, “The meanest man in all of Maine,” as he treats them poorly and makes them live in a dirty barn along side of pigs. In reaction to all of the awful thinks their uncle does, Harold decides he has had enough, and stands up to their uncle. In a quick turn of events, Harold gets sold illegally into to the union army and is taken away from Homer. It is apparent that Homer is a resilient little boy, but nothing could have indicated what happened next. Homer set out to save his brother and return him to Maine. On his adventure Homer runs into a gang of slave catchers, builds an alliance with a rich preacher, and joins a medicine show, all to end up right in the middle of The Battle of Gettysburg!
I really enjoyed this book. I felt like I could relate to Homer’s character, despite the fact that it took place during The Civil War. Homer represents a lot of what some student face in this day in age. He has face may tragedies and been taken advantage of. He feels lost, but has this passion and conviction about him that allows him to keep going. I think that Homer could serve as an inspiration to young children and teach the lesson that though things seem as if they are filling apart, they may actually be coming together, so just keep marching on.
The Mostly True Adventures of Home P. Figg has received several awards, including the Newbery Honor (2010) and the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award Nominee (2011). It would be best suited for students in grades 4-8 and discusses themes and topics like family, perseverance, the Civil War, opposing oppression, etc.
If I were to use this book in the classroom there are a few activities I would make sure to complete. Before reading, I
think it would be important to read other trade books or short stories related
to the Civil War. Though this book is
mostly about Homer and his adventure, student prior knowledge about this time
period is important.
Response journals
could be used to study various reading skill including:
- Character
Analysis
- Comparison and
Contrast
- Plot Development
- Problem and
Solution
- Cause and Effect
Students could
complete a RAFT from the perspective of Harold, Homer’s brother, explaining his
experiences in the Army and the battle of Gettysburg.
Students could
complete various activities through the following resources:

No comments:
Post a Comment